Bike crashes and insurance

Find out about what to do if you are involved in a bike crash, the TAC and insurance claims.

What do I have to do if I'm in a crash?

If you are involved in a crash with another rider, pedestrian or driver, you have certain responsibilities and rights.

If you are in a crash in which someone is hurt, you must:

  • stop and help them
  • give your name and address to anyone involved, and to any police present
  • report the crash to the police.

It is a serious offence if you do not. There are different penalties depending on whether anyone was killed or seriously injured. They may include a large fine or a prison term.

What does bike insurance cover?

Bike insurance can cover you for some of the cost of your injuries, damage to your bike or injury and damage to someone else and their property. See Insurance [jump link] on for more details.

TAC compensation for injury or death

What the TAC covers

If you are injured in a crash in Victoria involving a moving motor vehicle, train or tram that is registered in Victoria, you may be eligible for supports and services under the TAC scheme. It also covers you when you crash into an open or opening car door, or if you collide with a stationary vehicle while you are riding to or from work. To be eligible, you must report the crash to police.

What the TAC does not cover

The TAC scheme does not cover crashes that only involved you and another bike rider or a pedestrian. Note, also, that the TAC will not cover you when you can be compensated under another scheme, such as WorkSafe.

What you can get

Under the TAC scheme, you can get the cost of reasonable medical expenses covered, as well as compensation for lost earnings from your job while you recover. If you were seriously injured in a crash that was the fault of a motorist or train or tram driver, you can also sue for compensation (‘damages’).

Call the TAC on 1300 654 329 or visit the TAC website for more information on making a claim.

Here are some organisations that assist bike riders with road rules, bike safety and insurance.
This page was last updated on December 11, 2015