A grant was awarded to identify and determine the major legal issues and experiences of youth in four youth hubs in the western suburbs: Sunshine, Melton, Wyndham and Footscray.
The report identified a number of key recurring issues, such as:
- safe driving and insurance
- police powers and communicating with police
- cyberbullying and online safety
- intimate relationships (consent and legal age)
- rights and responsibilities of entering into consumer contracts.
The report also recommended the development of a community legal education program for young people across the western suburbs.
Read the report An invisible demographic – youth and the law in Melbourne's west