Community Legal Grants support projects that improve community understanding of a civil legal issue or help to navigate the Victorian justice system where there is a demonstrated legal need.
Community legal services or community organisations working in partnership with a legal service, can apply for up to $20,000 to:
- develop new information or an intervention that addresses a legal issue for a specific community
- pilot a project that offers a new approach to delivering legal information or access to legal help
- trial a strategy to gain insights applicable in other programs or services.
In addition to meeting the object of Victoria Law Foundation and our grant aims, priority will be given to applications that can demonstrate the guiding principles:
Evidence of legal need and a good case that the response is likely to make a difference.
Projects that have potential to reach significant audiences – this could be the scope or size of the target audience group or by addressing a critical legal issue experienced by a specific group of Victorians.
2023/24 applications close 5pm 29 April 2024
Community Legal Grant applications are open to community legal and not-for-profit organisations.
Eligible organisations include community legal centres, community organisations with an internal legal service or a not-for-profit organisation in partnership with a legal service.
Non-legal organisations are required to partner with an organisation with suitable legal expertise to ensure accurate legal information is provided to the audience group.
We only fund organisations – individuals are not able to apply.
We prioritise projects that can demonstrate how they will meet legal need and are ready start in 2024/25.
Preparing your application
If you are interested in applying for a grant, we offer a range of guidance supports and resources to help.
- Contact the Grants Manager to discuss your proposal.
- Ensure your proposal meets the grant criteria.
- Read the information about developing your proposal.
- Download a copy of the application questions to prepare your proposal.
Submit an application
We use SmartyGrants to manage our grant applications.
Subscribe to our Grants newsletter for the latest grant information, support to apply and completed projects.
Email or send an online message to our teams.